References to Edna Ferber and her works can be found in the following books owned by the Appleton Public Library. Many of them (especially those found in our Adult Reference Collection) are likely to be found in other libraries as well.
- American Autobiography, 1945-1980 : a bibliography.
Madison, Wis. : University of Wisconsin Press, 1982. p.71.
920.073 Ame - Adult Reference Entries for A Kind of Magic and Peculiar Treasure.
- Benet's Reader's Encyclopedia of American Literature.
New York: Harper Collins, 1991. p 331.
810.9 Ben - Adult Reference Entry is about 4 column inches long .
- City of Appleton 1989 Historic Sites Inventory. Appleton, Wis. :
City of Appleton, 1989. p. 37.
977.539 Cit - Wisconsin Collection Entry includes bxw photo of her childhood home at 216 E. North St., Appleton, WI as it appeared circa 1989. She wrote the book Dawn O'Hara here.
- Contemporary Literary Criticism.
Detroit, Gale Research Co., 1973- . v. 18 p. 150.
809.04 Con - Adult Reference. Brief entry.
- Continuity and Change, 1940-1965.
Thompson, William Fletcher.
(Series: The history of Wisconsin v. 6). Madison, WI: State Historical Society of Wisconsin, 1988. p. 14.
977.5 His v.6 - Wisconsin Collection. Includes a couple of sentences saying Ferber selected Hurley, Wis., as setting for Come and Get it. It revived the town.
- Encyclopedia of Wisconsin.
New York, N.Y., U.S.A. : Somerset Publishers, 1991, p. 139-140.
977.5 Enc - Wisconsin Collection.
- Encyclopedia of World Biography : 20th Century.
Palatine, Ill. : Jack Heraty & Assoc., c1987. volume 4, p.80-82.
920.02 MacG - Wisconsin Collection. Entry has biog. information with photo.
- Famous Wisconsin women.
Madison : Women's Auxiliary, State Historical Society of Wisconsin, c197?, volume 4, p.4-8.
920.72 Fam - Wisconsin Collection . Entry includes two photos.
- Index to Best American Short Stories and O. Henry Prize.
White, Ray Lewis.
(Series: A Reference publication in literature). Boston, Mass. : G.K. Hall, c1988. p.33 , 97.
813.082 Whi - Adult Reference.
- The Journey Home : the literature of Wisconsin through four centuries.
Madison, Wis. : North Country Press, c1989. Volume 2, p. 408-421.
810.8 Jou - Wisconsin Collection. Brief biog. information and a selection from Come and Get it.
- Land of the Fox, saga of Outagamie County.
Outagamie County (Wis.) State Centennial Committee.
[Appleton, Wis., 1949]. p. 223.
977.539 Out - Wisconsin Collection. Entry w/photo.
- The Literary Heritage of Wisconsin.
La Crosse, Wis. : Juniper Press, c1986- . v.1 Beginnings to 1925 p. 412-436.
810.8 Lit - Wisconsin Collection. Entry includes a brief biographical sketch and selections from Buttered Side Down, Fanny Herself, and A Peculiar Treasure.
- Notable American women: the modern period: a biographical dictionary
Cambridge, Mass. : Belknap Press of Harvard University Press, 1980, p. 227-229.
920.72 Not - Adult Reference
- Ryan Clarion.
Appleton, Wis. : Appleton High School.
371.8 App - Collection Oct 1903 v:1 p.7 story about Ferber receiving loving cup at graduationp.8 column explaining plans of class of 1903. "Ferber is acting as a reporter for the Appleton Crescent" May 1903 vi:8 Masthead shows Ferber was the editor of Personal and Local, p.3 article about declaratory contest she competed in Jan 1902 iv:4 has photo of editorial staff, including Ferber who was editor of Personal and Local
- Something About the Author.
Detroit: Gale Research, 1971- . Volume 7.
920 Som - Children's Reference
- The story of Wisconsin women.
Kohler, Ruth Miriam De Young.
[Kohler, Wisc.] Committee on Wisconsin Women for the 1948 Wisconsin Centennial . p. 77 -79.
920.72 Koh - Wisconsin Collection.
- Twentieth Century Authors.
Ed by. Stanley Kunitz. N.Y., Wilson, 1942. p. 444-445.
809.04 Kun - Adult Reference. Biographical information with photograph.
- Twentieth Century Writing: a reader's guide to contemporary literature.
Ed. by Kenneth Ridley Richardson. London, New York [etc.] Newnes, 1969. p. 206.
809.04 Ric - Adult Reference. Brief entry.
- Who's Who of American Women: a biographical dictionary of notable living American women.
Chicago: Marquis-Who's Who . p 370.
920.7 Who - Adult Reference
- Wisconsin Authors and Their Books, 1836-1975.
Blackshear, Orrilla Thompson.
Madison : Wisconsin Dept. of Public Instruction, 1976. p. 211-212. (Series: Bulletin - Wisconsin Dept. of Public Education).
015.775 Bla - Wisconsin Collection. Entry is a bibliography of Ferber's works.
- Wisconsin Authors and Their Works.
Ed. By Charles Ralph Rounds. Madison, The Parker educational company. [c1918]. p.144.
810.8 Wis - Wisconsin Collection. A brief biog. sketch containing an error saying Ferber was born in Appleton, WI. Includes B&W photo of her as young woman seated, holding a book.
- Wisconsin Biographical Dictionary: people of all times and all places who have been important to the history and life of the state.
Wilmington, Del. : American Historical Publications, 1991. p.48-49.
920 Wis - Wisconsin Collection
- Wisconsin Lives of National Interest, Sketches of Some Prominent People Identified with the History of the Badger State.
Crow, William L.
Appleton, Wis., C.C. Nelson Publishing Company, 1937, p. 150-152.
920 Cro - Wisconsin Reference
- The Wisconsin, river of a thousand isles
Derleth, August William, 1909-1971.
Madison, Wis. : University of Wisconsin Press, 1985, c1942. p. 275.
977.5 Der - Wisconsin Collection. Derleth comments that some lumbering novels have been set in Wisconsin and cites Ferber's Come and Get it.
- Wisconsin : the story of the Badger State.
Risjord, Norman K.
Madison: Wisconsin Trails, c1995. p. 141.
977.5 Ris - Wisconsin Collection. Quote from her autobiography speaking of Appleton,WI. Russell, Lou and John Russell. Wisconsin Lore and Legends. Menomonie, Wis. : Oak Point Press, c1982. p. 17.
977.5 Rus - Wisconsin Collection. Entry is a reprint of a historical drawing with biog. info. that ran in syndicated newspapers around the state of WI.
- Wisconsin; a story of progress.
Raney, William Francis.
New York, Prentice-Hall, Inc., 1940. p.469.
977.5 Ran - Wisconsin Collection. Entry is brief.
- Wisconsin in Story and Song: selections from the prose and poetry of the badger state writers.
Ed. by Charles Ralph Rounds. Madison, Wis., Parker Educational Company, [c1916]. p. 163-171.
810.8 Rou - Wisconsin Collection. Brief biographical sketch and an excerpt from Dawn O'Hara.
- Wisconsin Women: a gifted heritage.
S.l. : s.n.], c1982. p. 89-91.
920.72 Wis - Wisconsin Collection